Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Final vocational visits

Yesterday I had my last three vocational visits, taking in the Museum of Life and Science, Centre for Documentary Studies and Nasher Museum of Art.

At the Museum of Life and Science I met with Troy and Elizabeth, who showed me around and told me about their unique model and how it works. As one child labelled it, it's a Zooseum, a healthy blend of natural history museum, hands on science centre and zoo. Impossible not to have fun here!

The lovely ladies (April, Courtney, Bonnie and Alexa) at the Centre for Documentary Studies took me out for lunch and told me about their centre, which teaches and presents documentary work (photos, film, audio, text).

My final stop was the Nasher, Duke University's art museum. As well as being very jealous of their 3-year-old building, I was impressed with the scope and scale of exhibitions they are producing.

It was a productive day, and a great way to round off my official vocational visits. Over the past month I have been fortunate to meet plenty of NC's museum elite and they have all been very generous with their time and information. The learning and sharing has been really beneficial for me.

No comments: